MARINA R. RABE-MANUEL
Managing Lawyer, Tanggol Kalikasan, Inc | Member, Integrated Bar of the Philippines | Member, Mediators Network for Sustainable Peace (MedNet)
Skills / Expertise
Conducts training of the staff of government agencies, law enforcement agencies, local government units and local communities involved in the enforcement and prosecution of wildlife and environmental crimes; Develops/enhances training modules on environmental law enforcement; Provides technical assistance and facilitates workshops and consultations on the formulation and development of enforcement protocols, manuals, systems, policies, laws, rules and regulations to address issues related to violations of environmental law violations; Provides technical assistance to national government agencies and local government units in the formulation and development of policies, laws, local ordinances and regulations to address issues related wildlife gathering and trafficking, prosecution of violators of wildlife and other environmental laws, rules and regulations and IUU fishing; Networks and coordinates with project partners in the national government agencies, law enforcement agencies, local government units, academe, non-government organizations, peoples’ organizations and indigenous peoples’ groups and the private sector.
February 2015-September 2016
Executive Director, Tanggol Kalikasan, Inc. - Performed over-all management functions over the organization;; Performed oversight functions over the organization’s programs and projects; Development of new projects and proposals pursuant to the short and long term strategic plans of the organization; Conducted fundraising, grant writing, project report writing, and donor networking activities; Represented the organization in various events and activities; Supervised the substantive work of Area Directors and key staff; Performed financial oversight and personnel management functions; Performed technical and legal support to various projects of the organization, as needed.
2011- January 2015
Executive Director, Tanim Kalikasan, Inc. - Performed over-all management functions over the organization; Performed oversight functions over the organization’s programs and projects including the Reforestation and Community Support Project (RCSP) which facilitated the planting of more than 4 million trees by more than 13,000 cooperators in 55 municipalities in Northern Luzon and Promoting High Value Crops in Luzon project which facilitated the planting of more than 1 million coffee and cacao seedlings in Quezon; Development of new projects and proposals; Conducted fundraising, grant writing, project report writing, and donor networking activities; Represented the organization in various events and activities; Acted as resource person in community trainings and seminars on topics related to environmental laws, conflict resolution, women and gender; Supervised the substantive work of the In-Country Coordinator and key staff; Performed financial oversight and personnel management functions.
In-Country Director/Project Coordinator, Tanim Kalikasan, Inc.
Managed the Philippines Reforestation and Community Support Project (RCSP); Supervised the substantive work of key personnel; Ensured compliance by the site officers and staff with the administrative and financial policies of the office.
Area Director-Northern Luzon (2007-2009), Supervising Lawyer/Area Director-Manila (2006-2007), Tanggol Kalikasan, Inc.
Supervised the operation of the area offices; Managed programs and projects in the area including the Upland and Rural-Urban Ecosystem Management Project for Areas Surrounding Dasol Bay (Dasol 2) which successfully rehabilitated more than 75 hectares of the Mt. Bayante Watershed of Infanta and more than 30 hectares of mangrove areas of Dasol and Infanta, Pangasinan; Coordinated the Legal Empowerment and CBNRM through Environmental Justice Program (EJP) Luzon Component. Designed and conducted community paralegal training, environmental law enforcement training for communities, law enforcers, government agency and local government officials, lawyers, judges, prosecutors; Conducted legal and policy advocacy work at the national and local levels on wildlife, fisheries, climate change, pollution, forest and protected areas management, waste management, mining, environmental impact assessment, environmental law enforcement and indigenous peoples rights; Provided direct legal services to community clients affected by various environmental issues.
Part of the team which supported the Isabela Province Task Force on Forest Protection based in Abuan, Ilagan, Isabela which conducted anti-illegal logging operations in Isabela; Ensured compliance by the area officers and staff with the administrative and financial policies of the office.
Manager, Product Enhancement and Bulletins, CD Technologies, Asia, Inc.
In charge of development of new project titles and enhancement and updating of existing titles; Ensured the timely completion and delivery of project titles; Support to personnel management of the department; Performed networking functions with government agencies and other partners.
Lawyer, Environmental Legal Assistance Center (ELAC)
Part of the team which implemented the Community Based Coastal Resource Management Program in Coron, Palawan; Conducted legal and policy advocacy work at the local levels on fisheries, lands, forest and protected areas management, waste management, mining, environmental law enforcement and indigenous peoples rights; Designed and conducted community paralegal trainings for local communities, indigenous peoples, law enforcers and local government officials; Provided legal support to clients (conducting client interviews, providing legal advice, conducting legal research, drafting of affidavits, complaints, petitions, motions and other pleadings, represent client in court and other legal processes).
Legal Officer IV (February 1998-April 1999)Attorney III (August 1996 – February 1998), Legal Service, Department of Environment and Natural Resources
Reviewed various cases on lands and forestry; drafted decisions, legal memoranda, opinions on cases and issues involving forestry, biodiversity and protected areas; facilitated public hearings and consultations as part of the EIA processes; provided legal and technical support to various bureaus and offices of the Department; conducted trainings on biodiversity, forestry and protected area laws, rules and regulations and alternative dispute resolution; provided support to gender program of the Department including developing modules on sexual harassment and acting as resource persons on seminars/orientation; conducted investigation, hearings and review of complaints and cases of the Department and of cases and complaints against office personnel.
Associate Lawyer, Francisco Law Office
Prepared and drafted legal documents such as affidavits, deeds, mortgages, leases, and contracts; Prepared and drafted complaints, petitions, motions and other pleadings; Represented client in court or before government agencies; Advised clients concerning business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits, or legal rights and obligations; Assisted clients with the mandatory reporting to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other government agencies.
Program Lawyer (April 1995-January 1996), Program Assistant/Legal Researcher (November 1991 – August 1993; November 1994 – April 1995), Women’s Legal Bureau, Inc.
Experience in Mediation
Other related experiences or Achievements:
• Trained facilitator and had facilitated various workshops and consultations including in the Multi-sectoral National Consultation on the Manual/Benchbook of the Green Courts and the group workshops of the Environmental Justice Forum of the Supreme Court (April 2008, Baguio City)
• Facilitated the series of consultations on the draft Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of the Renewable Energy Act, the revised IRR of the Climate Change Act
• Facilitated the series of consultations on the development of the Fisheries Law Enforcement Manual of Operations
• Facilitated the series of consultations on the development of the Comprehensive National Fisheries Industry Development Plan of BFAR
• Facilitated the series of consultations on the drafting of the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the E-NIPAS Act and the series of consultations on the proposed revisions to the Wildlife Act
• Has acted as resource person for various environmental law enforcement trainings in different areas of the country
• Has acted as resource persons in various appropriate dispute resolution (ADR) trainings in different parts of the country.
• Legal and Tenure Specialist, Master Plan for the Busuanga Island Chain, Palawan. Development Academy of the Philippines (October 2014-May 2015)
• Legal Specialist, Policy Study on the Impact of Tenurial Instruments in the Manila Bay Region (Phase 1 December 2014-September 2015; Phase 2 October 2015 to June 2016)
• Legal and Institutional Specialist, Development of the Sanitation Code for the City of Manila. Asian Development Bank (June 2015-December 2015)
• Writer/Lead Researcher, Study on Inter-LGU Cooperation for Environmental Protection of the Upper Marikina River Basin Protected Landscape. Mediators’ Network for Sustainable Peace (2016)
• Contributor, Handbook on Law Enforcement in Protected Areas. Department of Environment and Natural Resources
• Co-writer, 2013. Manual on Environmental Law Enforcement in Coastal and Marine Areas. Department of Environment and Natural Resources
• Co-writer, 2011. Law Enforcement Training Module for Wildlife, Fisheries, Forestry and Environmental Laws. Department of Environment and Natural Resources
• Co-writer, 2011. Primer on the Rules of Procedure For Environmental Cases
• Co-writer, Manual of Operations on the Wildlife Law Enforcement. Department of Environment and Natural Resources
• In Charge of publication, 2007. Gabay sa Pagpapatupad ng Batas Pangkalikasan. Tanggol Kalikasan
• In Charge of publication. Source book on Appropriate Dispute Resolution Processes (updates). Tanggol Kalikasan
• In Charge of publication. A Primer on Appropriate Dispute Resolution Processes (updates). Tanggol Kalikasan
Training & Education
• Bachelor of Laws, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 1994
• Bachelor of Arts in Economics, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, October 1987
• Justice Course, HarvardX, (online), May to June 2020. EDx (non-certificate)
• 2019 Ethics and Anti-Harassment Training, July 12, 2019, Development Alternatives, Inc. (DAI)
• Mandatory Continuing Legal Education, March 2019, UP Law Center, UP Diliman, Quezon City
• Environmental Justice Course, University of East Anglia (online), November 2018, Futurelearn
• Regional Wildlife Trafficking Workshop, November 17-19, 2015, US Department of State Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement, Ambon, Indonesia