Program Officer | Women Advocate | Researcher | Trainer
Experience on Mediation
Mediation Specialist, Mediators Network for Sustainable Peace (MedNet), Inc. February -September 2012.
Handled complex mediation cases involving resource use conflicts in Angat Watershed and affected communities of the proposed Pulangi V hydropower project in Bukidnon
Coordinated the program to mainstream mediation and other consensus building processes with partner communities, government offices and institutions in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao,
Planed, designed and implemented training and mentoring programs.
Assisted the executive director in the preparation and submission of reports.
Mediation Services Coordinator, MedNet 2008-2012
Secured the support of stakeholders in a complex conflict with national significance, supervised the conduct of conflict mapping and mediation sessions of mediators
Led the mediation of complex conflicts and formation of dispute resolution mechanisms.
Held various posts as Project Coordinator, Executive Director, Regional and National coordinator, MedNet 2003-2008
Established partnership with key Dioceses in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao in mainstreaming mediation in key regions of the country
Supervised the staff & teams of mediators in piloting the concept of community mediation in public disputes.
Wrote funding proposals and successfully secured the approval of some, notably the conflict mapping training with Dr. David Fairman of Consensus Building Institute, and the “Panibagong Paraan innovative ideas competition to uplift the lives of the poor grant” organized by World Bank in 2004
Helped coordinate the conduct of the first & second national mediation conferences
Organized and led the pool of counselors in the conduct of psychological debriefing to victims of the flood in Infanta and Nakar in 2004
Coordinated the exposure trip of Chinese mediators in key sites of MedNet
Represented the network in national and international meetings as designated by the Board or executive director
Project Manager, Royal Netherlands Embassy, Manila November 2002-March 2003
Organized a series of lectures on human rights and peace simultaneous with the Anne Frank exhibition for the diplomatic community, government and civil society.
Training on Mediation
International Training on Dialogue and Mediation, Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala
University and the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation, Uppsala, Sweden, June 7-17, 2017
Advanced Mediation Training for Trainers, MedNet, Manila, August 10-13, 2013. The training highlighted the importance of gender in all dialogue and mediation processes
Conflictology, Conflict Resolution and Peace Building by Ms. Brigette Kehrer, Swiss international mediator and diplomat, Manila, February 13-14, 2012
Transforming Relationships, Designing Change by Dr. Harold “Hal” Saunders, International Institute for Sustained Dialogue, Cleveland, Ohio, March 24-25, 2010
Training on Conflict Mapping, Dr. David Fairman, Consensus Building Institute of Massachusetts, USA and The Asia Foundation, Manila, May 5-7, 2004
International Human Rights Training, Equitas International Centre for Human Rights Education, Montreal, Canada, June 8-20, 2000
Co-trainer, Module on Congruent Communication, Full-time Training Course in Peace and Conflict, Academy of Conflict Transformation, Forum ZfD, April 8-12, 2019, Konigswinter, North Rhine Westphalia, Germany • MedNet-related training activities with various agencies (government, non-government, church, and donor institutions) 2018-2019
Facilitator, Regional Exchange Forum, Innovations for Change East Asia, December 11-13, 2017, Singapore • Gender Analysis Trainer and Evaluator, Post-Haiyan nutrition and livelihood projects, Adventist International Relief Agency (ADRA), July-October 2015, in Bato, Leyte and December 2015-March 2016 in three towns of Iloilo. Produced a training manual on gender for Iloilo staffs of ADRA.
• Facilitator, Transitional Justice and Reconciliation Commission (TJRC), March- June 2015. Conducted 18 community consultations with victims of armed conflict in Central Mindanao and was one of the few selected facilitators to give a testimony during the public launch of two reports in 2016 and 2017.
Participant, Professional Exchange of Peace and Conflict Consultants, by Kommunale Konfliktberatung VFB Salzwedel, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany, October 14, 2019
Participant, Manila Conference 2019: Pathways to Peace and Development in the Philippines, Ateneo de Manila University, July 16-17, 2019
Facilitator, Third Conference on Psychosocial Support in the Search for Truth and Justice for Victims
Enforced Disappearances, Torture and Extrajudicial Execution, Asian Federation Against Involuntary Disappearances, Manila, July 17-20, 2014
Participant, 3rd International Conference on Conflict Resolution Education, Cuyahoga Community College, Cleveland, Ohio, USA, March 26-27, 2010
Paper presenter, 8th Conference on Environmental Justice and Global Citizenship, on Environmental Ethics, Sustainability and Education, Oxford University, London, July 10-12, 2009
Paper presenter, The Challenges of Engendering Community Mediation in the Philippines”, Graduate Students’ Conference on “Nation-States and Global Crises: Asian Issues and Perspectives, Asian Center, University of the Philippines, February 28, 2009
Participant, International Conference on Gender, Migration and Development, Manila, September 25-26, 2008
Participant, Third Annual United Nations Forum on Online Dispute Resolution, International Conflict Resolution Center, University of Melbourne, Australia, July 2-4, 2004
Executive Director of Mediators Network for Sustainable Peace March 2016-September 30, 2019.
MedNet is an NGO advocating mediation of community disputes affecting marginalized communites to access justice. Full time staff of MedNet since 2003 to 2012. Has been involved in the training of village mediators; civil society leaders and government personnel dealing with conflicts related to resource-uses; clergy and church workers, and Moro men and women in BARMM on conflict analysis, negotiation and mediation. Led a team that conducted conflict mapping and mediation of two complex resource-related cases involving indigenous peoples in watershed areas in Luzon and Mindanao in 2008-2011 and 2011-2012 respectively.
Regional Campaign Officer, Asian Federation Against Involuntary Disappearances (AFAD), October 2012- February 2015.
Coordinated campaign plans of nine members from seven countries in Asia; wrote-related campaign materials and managed the publication of AFAD’s magazine.
RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES
Coordinator, Information and Publications, Philippine Human Rights Information Center (PhilRights) 1999- 2001
Supervised the information dissemination, publications, library & data bank, and circulation and marketing programs
Assisted the executive director in writing proposals, networking with funding agencies and the diplomatic community
Anchored the radio program “Rights mo, Alamin Mo”, Radyo ng Bayan
Liaised with the UN Department of Public Information and Economic and Social Council for the remaining accreditation requirements of PhilRights (that paved the way for the eventual approval of the application)
• Welfare Coordinator, KAPATID, friends and relatives of political prisoers August 1992-1995 Supervised the delivery of direct services to political prisoners and their relatives
Provided psycho-social training to relatives of political prisoners
Checked the conditions of political prisoners nationwide and coordinated with other agencies for action
• Case Worker, Balay Rehabilitation Center, Quezon City, February-July 1992. Was directly assisting clients who were mostly newly-released political prisoners. Balay is a human right. and peace NGO that provides psychosocial support to internally displaced peoples and other victims of human rights violations.
• Coordinator, Citizens for Justice and Peace, Cebu 1985-1987
Organized professionals and initiated advocacy campaigns for justice and peace
Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Non-Traditional Study Program, Polytechnic University of the Philippines, 2002
• Candidate, Doctor of Social Development, University of the Philippines, College of Social Work and Community Development (UP CSWCD), 2011-current (working on dissertation proposal)
> Granted a College research scholarship funded by Danish Institute Against Torture (DIGNITY), January 2015
• Master of Arts, Women and Development Studies, UP CSWCD, 2005-2009
> Awarded best fieldwork paper on a study of conflicts and responses of women trade union leaders, April 2009
• Lecturer, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2nd semester, 2006-2007 and first semester 2008, undergraduate students, Ateneo de Manila University, Quezon City.
RELEVANT WRITTEN WORKS
• Human Rights Handbook: A Practical Guide for Soldiers on Human Rights, International Humanitarian Law and the Rule of Law, Army Human Rights Office, 2017
• Community Development for Social Transformation: The Role of Community Organizations as Negotiating Leverage in Conflict-Affected Communities, Philippine Journal of Social Development, Vol. 7, 2015 published by the College of Social Work and Community Development, August 2016
• Gains and Lessons Learned from the Experience of the Interfaith Religious Leaders of R.T. Lim as a Community-based Conflict Resolution Mechanism, The Mediator, Vol. IV, Issue, 1 October 2013
• Is There a Place for Mediation and Other Consensus Building Processes in Environmentally Threatened Communities in the Philippines? Published by Inter-Disciplinary Press, 2009. Available at disciplinary.net/publishing/id-press/ , pp 137-155
• Trends in and Challenges of Agrarian Disputes in the Philippines, by Brenda S. Batistiana, Rachel Aquino and Caroliza T. Peteros, The Management of Public Policy Conflicts in Southeast Asia, The Southeast Asian Conflict Studies Network, 2007
• Golf Courses: Are they on a par with Human Rights? Philippine Human Rights Information Center, 1999
AWARDS AND CITATIONS
January 2015 | Research scholarship, University of the Philippines in partnership with the Danish Institute Against Torture and Balay Rehabilitation Center
April 28, 2009 | Best MA Fieldwork Paper, “A Study of the Responses and Approaches Employed by Key Leaders of MAKALAYA Involved in a Conflict”, Department of Women and Development Studies, CSWCD, UP
April 27, 2008 | Best Class Documentation “Creative Experiences of the Soul: A Mosaic of Experiences in Feminist Theatre”, CSWCD, UP
August 15, 2007 | University Scholar, University of the Philippines, College of Social Work and Development
March 2, 2009 | Pi Gamma Mu, International Honors’ Society in Social Science
MEMBERSHIP IN ORGANIZATIONS
Balay Rehabilitation Center, a human rights organization providing psycho-social intervention to internally displaced peoples and other victims of human rights violations | Treasurer for 2017-2019; Board Member 1994; Secretary/Treasurer, 2001-2004; 2007- 2008
Equitas International Human Rights Training Alumni Association | 2007-current. Coordinator for Luzon
Mediators Network for Sustainable Peace, Inc. (MedNet) | Member
UP College of Social Work and Community Develop Alumni Organization | Interim Board President, 2016-2018; Board Member since 2011
Mia Vita Homeowners Association | Board Secretary, 2013-2014
Damhin Kapwa, a loose organization of Crisis Management Stress | Founding Member, January 2005
Debriefers formed in response to the flood in Infanta, Quezon in 2004